What is the minimal set of firmware files I need for my hardware?

Doron Behar doron.behar at gmail.com
Mon May 4 06:26:35 EDT 2020

I hope this question fits to this List.

Today I learned that my distro's `linux-unfree-firmware` package is 491
Mb in size. I'm pretty sure my hardware doesn't need all of these files.
Maybe different Linux distros call this package differently, but I'm talking
about the firmware files that come from:
https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/firmware/linux-firmware.git/

I think I can reduce this disk usage if I'll only know what files
I can exclude from there.

Is there any official documentation, that states exactly what files from
That git repo are needed per device / computer model? Perhaps the official
documentation of my Computer's hardware will state that? There's a Linux
from scratch webpage[1] that gives some info for popular hardware, but I'm
wondering if there's a bit more "official" information available
somewhere.

[1]: http://linuxfromscratch.org/blfs/view/svn/postlfs/firmware.html

Thanks.