difference between /usr/lib/modules and /lib/modules

Bernd Petrovitsch bernd at petrovitsch.priv.at
Fri Mar 20 06:56:15 EDT 2020

Hi!

On 20/03/2020 10:24, Fabien R wrote:
[...]
> Being used to cross-compile my kernel on a faster machine, I noticed the existence of both directories
> after installing it with update-grub.
> Since 'du' showed that they have the same size, it's a waste of space.
> Is it possible to use only one of them ?

/usr/lib/modules doesn't exist on Ubuntu (and TTBOMK it
doesn't exit in the Fedora/RedHat-world - can't check right now).

Are you sure they are actually different (and don't have e.g.
the same inode number)?

MfG,
	Bernd
--
"I dislike type abstraction if it has no real reason. And saving
on typing is not a good reason - if your typing speed is the main