Git pull and untracked files

Valdis Kl=?utf-8?Q?=c4=93?=tnieks valdis.kletnieks at vt.edu
Sun Jun 28 20:15:26 EDT 2020

On Mon, 29 Jun 2020 00:00:23 +0530, Gautam Bhat said:
> Hi,
>
> When I do a git pull to get the latest changes (from v5.2) , git
> status shows the following files as untracked:
>
> scripts/conmakehash
> scripts/pnmtologo
> scripts/sortextable
>
> I don't see the files in .gitignore too but in the earlier version
> i.e. v5.2 it is present. These files are binaries, should I go ahead
> and delete them?

And to add to my reply:  How to figure this out for yourself since
you already have a git tree...

For the first two, I did a 'git grep conmakehash', which told me it was
in a different Makefile.  'git blame drivers/tty/vt/Makefile | grep conmakehash'
popped out the commit for 'git show'...

The last one I had to resort to 'git log | grep -B30 sortextable | more'