Crash recovery kernel error

Mulyadi Santosa mulyadi.santosa at gmail.com
Mon Jun 22 01:29:08 EDT 2020

On Sat, Jun 20, 2020 at 1:02 AM Harsh chopra <
serviceprovider.tester at gmail.com> wrote:

> I cloned the kernel from "git clone git://
> git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/stable/linux-stable.git".
> I selected the branch 5.7.y for building the kernel, I used the command
> "make menuconfig" to select specific  modules  and to avoid other options
> that come up while making the .config file.
>
> I was able to successfully install the kernel but when I started the
> kernel version 5.8.3+ , the system freezes with the message "see systemctl
> status kdump.service".
> When I looked in the logs I found this message "Failed to start Crash
> recovery kernel arming"
> My operating system is Centos 7.8.2003 kernel 3.10.
> Any help will be appreciated.

Try to duplicate the CentOS  kernel's config instead of using/creating your
own, you probably missed one or more needed config item.

Or better, use rpm/rpm source from elrepo (google for the url). It takes
stable/mainline kernel and make it (as much as possible) work with CentOS

Mind you that CentOS 7 is based on 3.10.x kernel and you're trying to run
5.x kernel, something that might not work due to incompatibility of API/ABI

Hope it helps

regards,

Mulyadi Santosa
Freelance Linux trainer and consultant