the cost of EXPORT_SYMBOL_GPL

Tomek The Messenger tomekthemessenger at gmail.com
Wed Jun 17 08:48:36 EDT 2020

This is the case about which Martin write shortly. Then let's assume on
another soc reset reason is not stored in chip's address space memory
mapped to address 0xfff.... but it is accessed via some spi operation. On
another soc reset reason is still memory mapped but to different address
0xfff... And then let's assume there are 30-40 such functionalities like
reset_reason. If we have one unique sysfs interface then it is easier for
everyone: tester, developer to proceed with such device, testing or
debugging. You don't waste time to read documentation each time, checking
what address is/how to read each functionality. You have this hidden in
kernel modules code and can access via cat/echo to /sys.