Do I need strong mathematical bases to work in the memory subsystem?

Valdis Kl=?utf-8?Q?=c4=93?=tnieks valdis.kletnieks at vt.edu
Mon Sep 30 01:06:27 EDT 2019

On Sun, 29 Sep 2019 17:48:43 -0500, CRISTIAN ANDRES VARGAS GONZALEZ said:

> Hello good morning, to be developed from the kernel do I need to have good
> math bases? I want to help in the ram memory subsystem and I have that
> doubt thank you.

Depends what you mean by "strong math basics".  You'll *definitely* need to
understand decimal/hexadecimal/binary/octal and how to convert between
them. Understanding algebra is useful.

If you've had some intro to complexity theory so you understand why an O(N^2)
algorithm is usually worse than one that's O(N log N), that helps. Also,
knowing enough computing theory to understand what a finite state machine is,
and why to use one, and how to write code to implement one, is useful.

You *probably* don't need calculus or deep number theory or a lot of other
pure math.

Programming in the kernel doesn't require any more math than what's required
for competent programming in userspace.