Remote I/O bus

Luca Ceresoli luca at lucaceresoli.net
Fri Oct 4 10:08:06 EDT 2019

Hi Greg,

On 04/10/19 15:22, Greg KH wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 04, 2019 at 01:04:56PM +0200, Luca Ceresoli wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> on an embedded system I currently have a standard platform device:
>>
>> .-----.  data  .--------.
>> | CPU |--------| DEVICE |
>> '-----'   bus  '--------'
>>
>> The driver is a standard platform driver that uses ioread32() and
>> iowrite32() to access registers.
>>
>> So far, so good.
>>
>> Now in a new design I have the same device in an FPGA, external to the
>> SoC. The external FPGA is not reachable via an I/O bus, but via SPI (or
>> I2C). A microprocessor in the FPGA acts as a bridge: as an SPI client it
>> receives register read/write requests from the CPU, forwards them to the
>> devices on the in-FPGA data bus as a master, then sends back the replies
>> over SPI.
>>
>>                        SoC <- | -> FPGA
>>
>> .-----.  data   .---------.       .--------.  data   .--------.
>> | CPU |---------| SPI CTL |-------| BRIDGE |---------| DEVICE |
>> '-----'  bus A  '---------'  SPI  '--------'  bus B  '--------'
>>

>> What would be a proper way to model this in the Linux kernel?
>>
>> Of course I can hack the drivers to hijack them on SPI, but I'm trying
>> to solve the problem in a better way. IMO "a proper way" implies that
>> the platform driver does not need to be aware of the existence of the
>> bridge.
>>
>> Note: in the real case there is more than one device to handle.
>>
>> At first sight I think this should be modeled with a "bridge" device that:
>>
>>  * is a SPI device
>>  * implements a "platform bus" where regular platform devices can be
>>    instantiated, similar to a "simple-bus"
>
> Yes, make your own "bus", and have the SPI device be your "host
> controller" in that it bridges the SPI bus to your "FPGA bus".
>
> The driver model is set up for this, it should be not that complex to do
> so.  If you have specific questions, just let me know.  "Clean" examples
> of what to do is the greybus code as that's probably one of the newest
> busses to be added to the kernel.
>
>> In device tree terms:
>>
>> &amba { /* data bus A in picture */
>>
>>     spi0: spi at 42000000 {
>>         reg = <0x42000000 0x1000>;
>>         #address-cells = <1>;
>>
>>         io-over-spi-bridge at 1 { /* data bus B */
>>             reg = <1>; /* slave select pin 1 */
>>             compatible = "linux,io-over-spi-bridge";
>>             #address-cells = <1>;
>>             #size-cells = <1>;
>>
>>             mydevice at 4000 {
>>                 /* 1 kB I/O space at 0x4000 on bus B */
>>                 reg = <0x4000 0x1000>;
>>             };
>>         };
>>     };
>> };
>>
>> The io-over-spi driver is supposed to request allocation of a virtual
>> memory area that:
>>  1. is as large as the address space on bus B
>>  2. is __iomem (non cached, etc)
>>  3. is not mapped on the physical CPU address space (bus A)
> [...]

If I got you correctly, this means I cannot reuse the existing device
drivers unmodified as I was hoping to. They won't be 'struct
platform_device' instances anymore, they will become 'struct
mybus_device' instances. And as such they won't be allowed to call
ioread32() / iowrite32(), but will have to call mybus_ioread32() and
mybus_iowrite32(). Correct?

Thanks,
--
Luca