fs.quota.warnings sysctl parameter usage

Greg KH greg at kroah.com
Wed May 15 07:26:36 EDT 2019

On Wed, May 15, 2019 at 03:41:30PM +0530, Ravi Prakash Putchala wrote:
> On Wed, May 15, 2019 at 1:46 PM Greg KH <greg at kroah.com> wrote:
>
> > On Wed, May 15, 2019 at 01:14:24PM +0530, Ravi Prakash Putchala wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I am exploring fs sysctl parameters and unable to find the reference to
> > > fs.quota.warnings parameter in the kernel source code. I tried searching
> > > with fs.quota.warnings (ignoring case) and also sysctl_fs_quota_warnings.
> > >
> > > Could anyone please point me to the place in the kernel source where this
> > > parameter is used?
> >
> > Look at the flag_print_warnings variable in fs/quota/dquot.c
> >

> Thank you. But how do I associate it with fs.quota.warnings? Asking because
> this would be useful for me to associate other sysctl parameters in
> future.

Step back a minute and think about how you create a sysctl entry.  It's
with a call to register_sysctl_table(), right?  And what is the
parameter of that function?  It takes a table that describes the sysctl
directory structure.  And from that you can see the different quota
sysctl entries and variables.

Look at the sys_table and fs_table structures for that information,
understand how they work and then you will be able to find any sysctl
entry in the kernel source quite easily.

hope this helps,

greg k-h