how to collect information regarding function calls in run time?

Pedro Terra Delboni terra0009 at gmail.com
Tue May 14 09:55:40 EDT 2019

Sorry to revive this old thread, and thank you for the suggestions given,
but I've been trying to make these work for my case with little success and
I need a hand to understand what I'm doing wrong.

Regarding bpftrace: This seemed like the best option since I could use it
to count frames of the stack with depth 2, allowing me to know precisely
the amount of times each specific call has been made. However, I could not
use it because since I have to probe every function, it would raise an
error related to open file limit. I've tried setting the open file limit to
unlimited, but the command I used to do so said it was impossible, also the
current limit is set to 1048576, so I'm guessing that probing every
function isn't a viable solution.

Regarding perf: I couldn't find out how to count each call with perf, but I
could count how many times each function was called. Differently from
bpftrace, I need to use a command for each function I would like to probe,
so I created a script that would get all the functions that can be probed
and call that command for each of them. Unfortunately this took too long,
so I stopped after a certain number of probes were created and executed my
test, at that time, the machine hanged.
With a low number of functions being probed it worked fine though.

Right now, the solution I can see is using bpftrace to probe a very limited
number of calls, profile an execution, then repeat the profile for
different set of probes, which can take a very long time.
Is there an easier way (less time consuming) to achieve the same results
(counting how many times each call instruction has been executed)?

Thanks you for the attention,
Pedro