What will happen if 2 processes map same physical page

Okash Khawaja okash.khawaja at gmail.com
Fri Mar 22 05:59:55 EDT 2019

Hi Lev,

On Fri, 22 Mar 2019 12:15:49 +0300
Lev Olshvang <levonshe at yandex.com> wrote:

> Hello Okash,
>
> Actually there were 3 question:
>
> Third question is :
> Is there any way to tell the kernel that PTE of same physical page
> should be equal in all processes?
Not that I am aware of. You mention SELinux feature which might be a
way but I don't know about it.

> For example, shared lib mapped from different processes to same
> physical page must have same PTE, isn it?
This is policy vs. mechanism question. I think kernel - wherever
possible - provides mechanism, leaving policy to be determined by user
space. So in case of shared lib mapping, it's the dynamic linker which
ensures that all mappings are similar across different processes.

> And  the presence of SELinux feature SELINUX_CHECKREQPROT_VALUE
> indicates for me that kernel somehow knows the correct page
> protections. (although I do not see in code how it is done)
>
> But the question might be rephrased :  IMHO Kernel should mandate
> same PTE flags no matter how many virtual mapping were made to the
> same physical page.
>
> What do you think?

I'm not sure if that would be the best default option. One reason is
that PTE flags aren't a property of physical page itself. Instead, PTE
flags are a property of a process's view of the physical page. Physical
page itself is a series of bytes. Meaning is given to those bytes by
the process which accesses them.

This is a bit more subjective opinion rather than an objective answer
so I'm ot sure if this answers your query.

Thanks,
Okash