What will happen if 2 processes map same physical page

Lev Olshvang levonshe at yandex.com
Wed Mar 20 09:42:39 EDT 2019

Hi all,

The question is it ipossiblle in Linux/MMU/TLB  that 2 processes map to the same physical address?
Will CPU or  TLB discover that second process tries to reach occupied physical page?

What if first process set page permission to read and second whats to write to this page ?
Perhaps during context switch all page access permissions of first process is flashed out from MMU ?

I confess I do not know what exactly happens in TLB and between Linux and hardware view of pages.

I am particularly intereste in ARMv7, perhaps its architecture have some solutions to these question.

Regards,
Lev