32-bit relocation outside of kernel

Wallace wallace at morkitu.org
Mon Jan 21 08:13:44 EST 2019

Hello all,

First message here, I hope it's the good place to write for this problem.

I compile kernel.org vanilla for Debian since 2.4 without big problem,
but this time I'm facing a problem that I don't understund the mistake.

My goal is to make a kernel without many drivers I don't need and
configuration for servers with restriction for many thinks. This kernel
need to run en vm guest host (esxi, virtualbox, xen, kvm) and bare metal
host on many different brands.

Until kernel 4.16.15 everythings works well for all hosts.

Since 4.17 to 4.19 all attempts to compile and boot give me an error
when boot with the message : 32-bit relocation outside of kernel

This error is not well documented, some have error on ram on bare metal
host, in my case I have tested wrong kernel in many virualized guest on
two plateform with same error, I don't think it's a hardware problem.

I join configurations, the first 4.16.15 works very well find here
https://dl.digdeo.fr/IoLqo/config-4.16.15-work.txt and for all other
version after I have tested upgrade of config file with make oldconfig
and localmodconfig but with this all failed, there is config-4.19.16 for
exemple that don't work
https://dl.digdeo.fr/PzuK7/config-4.19.16-32bit-relocation.txt

There is my method to compile kernels :

make clean
git checkout v4.19.16
cp ../config-4.16.15-work.txt .config
export CONCURRENCY_LEVEL=`grep -c '^processor' /proc/cpuinfo`
make deb-pkg -j$CONCURRENCY LOCALVERSION=-mykernel KDEB_PKGVERSION=1

dpkg -i ../linux-image....deb

reboot

Thanks for your help

Wallace