drivers/char/efirtc.c - efi_rtc_open\ efi_rtc_close

Muni Sekhar munisekharrms at gmail.com
Mon Jan 21 05:10:31 EST 2019

Hello All,

The drivers/char/efirtc.c file has ‘struct file_operations.open’ & ‘struct
file_operations.close’ functions efi_rtc_open()\ efi_rtc_close() does
nothing, just returns ‘0’.

So it accept multiple open files at the same time. If we don’t define these
empty function, still driver accepts multiple open() calls at the same
time, right?

If so I’d like to know what is the advantage of keeping these function
which does nothing instead of removing it from driver?

--
Thanks,
Sekhar