arm64 Kernel build for qemu-system-aarch64 ?

Pintu Agarwal pintu.ping at gmail.com
Fri Feb 22 08:47:00 EST 2019

Hi All,

I want to build Linux Kernel 4.20 for arm64 and use it on qemu-arm64.
I see that there is a defconfig available in arch/arm64/configs/defconfig
But I am not sure whether it will work for qemu-arm64, and by default
which machine type is supported.

I already have working setup for qemu-arm for both versatile and
vexpress machine. There is already a defconfig available for these
under arch/arm.
So I can build the kernel for it.

But, whether these defconfig are supported for arm64 ?
If anybody have setup for qemu-arm64 kernel, please share the steps.
About rootfs, I am planning to use the arm32 version of busybox itself.

Thanks,
Pintu