Partition linux page cache for each VM

Valdis Kl=?utf-8?Q?=c4=93?=tnieks valdis.kletnieks at vt.edu
Thu Apr 25 22:08:55 EDT 2019

On Fri, 26 Apr 2019 03:01:52 +0530, Chirag Chauhan said:

> I have selected this as a course project for a course on virtualization.
> Doing this will reduce the performance interference between virtual
> machines.

Actually, it can make it worse.

Consider the behavior of 4 VMs sharing 16G of page cache, where
3 VMs want 4.5G of cache each and 1 wants 2G.

Now consider the behavior of 4 VMs each with a guaranteed 4G of page
cache, where 3 VMs want 4.5G of cache each and 1 wants 2G.

Then perform the same analysis for your LRU list, and make sure it actually
provides a benefit before you start coding.....