Problem with netconsole and eth0 timing

valdis.kletnieks at vt.edu valdis.kletnieks at vt.edu
Tue Sep 25 22:26:36 EDT 2018

On Tue, 25 Sep 2018 18:26:06 -0700, don fisher said:

> The wicked message eth0: up comes at Sep 24 22:02:01.173616. The
> difference is maybe 36 seconds? There is an eth0: avail message at Sep
> 24 22:01:34.112744, don't know if that would suffice for netconsole Both
> are after netconsole has bailed out. Any obvious solutions I am missing?
> The documentation is pretty clear on how to set this up, so there must
> be some way to get it to work. I could find nothing on Google.

Here's the big clue:

Sep 24 22:01:25 dfpc60 systemd-modules-load[185]: Module 'netconsole' is builtin

which means that it's going to get initialized during *very* early boot, before
the initramfs gets called. netconsole is able to do the equivalent of
'ifconfig' (or at least enough of it to set the IPs/ports/ARP entries before
the rest of networking comes up), but it can't also get the physical device up and
running if the hardware driver isn't present.

Since it's builtin, this is probably a custom-built kernel.  So make sure that
the driver for eth0 is also builtin.