dev process - reduce mistakes

Cindy-Sue Causey butterflybytes at gmail.com
Tue Sep 18 22:01:19 EDT 2018

On 9/18/18, Tobin C. Harding <me at tobin.cc> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm after some advice from those more experienced with [kernel]
> development please.
>
> What systems do you have in place to help catch mistakes?  In other
> words; what processes do you use when coding and submitting patches to
> help eliminate simple mistakes?  So far my best method is getting a
> patch [set] ready then waiting until the next day before reviewing the
> set and submitting.  I am facing an issue where by when doing (less than
> super interesting) large patch sets (like docs fixes) that by the time I
> get to the final review my eyes glaze over and I'm still missing
> mistakes.
>
> My future maintainers will thank you ;)

For the docs part of what you're doing, *I* read what I write out loud
and deliberately very slowly so that I actually see each word. I
*empathize* with you. I experience something similar regarding my
often long winded emails. I'll proofread literally 10 or 15 times then
see that one last mistake...

That I MISSED... as the email is disappearing out of sight because it
has just been sent to a listserv. :D

Reading out loud **slower** than I normally would helps me see AND
hear mistakes. If I read at a normal speed, even if I do so out loud,
it's some kind of a Human nature thing that I'll keep reading my
mistakes wrongly by mentally "glossing over" those mistakes instead of
seeing them for the oopsies they are. Instead of catching those
mistakes and fixing them, I just keep saying them WRONG out loud over
and over (AND over) if I do so at a normal conversational speaking
speed. :))

Have fun!

Cindy :)
--
Cindy-Sue Causey

* 'Twas brillig and the slithy tove, yada-yada.... *