Testing the performance impact of kernel modifications

SeyedAlireza Sanaee sarsanaee at gmail.com
Tue Oct 23 09:59:46 EDT 2018

I believe there is no definite methodology, it is all experimental and
dependent on the applications you are running and as Valdis told on the
changes you would like to make. Basically, when a paper offers a new
algorithm or design then they should have tested it on their own testbed.
They may report their experimental methodology in the paper or even have
the experiment scripts on the Github. However, other than the applications,
and your changes, the testbed itself is also important. Their system may
work with a CPU frequency different than yours. So you might not see the
performance gain as they reported and achieved in the paper.

For instance, concerning some network enhancement in TCP stack, some people
may improve the end to end latency just 10s of microseconds and you suppose
to capture those minor microseconds in your experiments. It is really hard
but not impossible, it basically takes time and effort + *extensive
evaluations*.

I know that nowadays system software papers are pretty practical, and they
try to build a working systems. I'm particularly talking about SOSP and
OSDI papers.