Boot all yes config kernel with QEMU

valdis.kletnieks at vt.edu valdis.kletnieks at vt.edu
Tue Oct 23 00:22:44 EDT 2018

On Tue, 23 Oct 2018 13:56:42 +1100, "Tobin C. Harding" said:

> I'd like to build and boot an allyesconfig kernel with QEMU.  Building
> is no problem but when I try to boot it I get problems because the host
> system does not support features requested by the VM.
>
> How does one go about testing an allyesconfig kernel?

As you have noticed, there's no guarantee that a allyesconfig kernel will boot in
a VM because the VM doesn't support something.  Note that you're going to have
the exact same issues booting on real hardware - you'll discover that there's configs
that won't boot on real hardware either - and even if it boots, you'll probably not have
the I/O devices to test even a third of the drivers unless you have a really well stocked
test lab.

But then, all(yes|mod|no)config aren't intended for actual booting and testing - they're
pretty much build testing all the options in one build.

Basically, one of two things happen after building an all-something-config:

1) The build completes and you get on with your life

2) The build fails, and you get to send an email telling the maintainer that
their driver for the Frobnozz 1300 Widget won't build in =y in kernel 4.21-rc2,
or whatever your build died on.