Learning Linux Kernel Development

valdis.kletnieks at vt.edu valdis.kletnieks at vt.edu
Thu Oct 11 22:05:03 EDT 2018

On Thu, 11 Oct 2018 14:42:56 +0400, o at goosey.org said:
> 10.10.2018, 19:36, "Carter Cheng" <cartercheng at gmail.com>:
> >    2. Is there some good way to figure out how to update knowledge gained from
> >    this book to what is in the 4.x series of kernels?

> I think all C code-based drivers will work on all Linux versions after
> downloading kernel please checkout the staging/ folder.

Nowhere close.  Working on "all Linux versions" would imply a stable API.

The internal kernel APIs change all the time - a non-toy driver written for a
2.6.10 kernel has little to no chance of working on 4.19 without updating to
use the APIs presented by the 4.19 kernel.

See Documentation/process/stable-api-nonsense.rst for the details.