Diploma project with the Linux kernel

Cindy-Sue Causey butterflybytes at gmail.com
Fri Oct 5 11:23:15 EDT 2018

On 10/5/18, Boian Karatotev <boian4o1 at gmail.com> wrote:

>> You mean you want to re-invent the current checkpoint-restart code that's
>> been
>> in the kernel since v3.10 back in June 2013? (see kernel/kcmp.c for the
>> gory
>> details).
>>
> Too bad I hadn't found this out earlier. I had hopes this wasn't really
> done in kernels, so I had hopes to at least try as a lurning opportunity as
> an official project. I guess not
>
> It doesn't take a lot of effort to ask whether they have tasks that might
>> become a student project,
>>
> I'll do that, thanks!
>
> I guess this is pointless doing, so I'll look around elsewhere. Does anyone
> know anything else that might be suitable for a school project?

Hi.. The first thing that always comes to mind for me is to track down
bug reports. For the kind of project you're talking about here...

Maybe track down *wishlist* bugs where users are asking for features
that don't exist yet?

Always feels like there's half a bazillion bug reports spread across
all the various distributions on the Internet so starting with a
keyword topic helps. If nothing friendly sounding pops up, maybe what
you do find will still spawn an idea that's attractive to your
talents.

Good luck! :)

Cindy :)
--