Unsupported relocation type: R_X86_64_PLT32

Aleix Roca Nonell kernelrocks at gmail.com
Wed Nov 7 10:00:01 EST 2018

On Wed, Nov 07, 2018 at 04:32:36PM +0530, Shyam Saini wrote:
> Hi Aleix,
>
> > (reminder just in case the email was missed!)
>
> When you post queries/bug reports then you should always Cc
> maintainers and subsystem specific
> mailing lists.
>
> You can can find maintainers and mailings lists by:
> $ cd /path to your kernel source/
> $ ./scripts/get_maintainer.pl /path to your wireless driver file

Hi Shyam,

Sorry, I think I have not made myself clear enough. The error that
doesn't let me sleep at night,

> "Unsupported relocation type: R_X86_64_PLT32"

it is not related at all with my wireless driver. This error pops up
when compiling a Linux Kernel 4.14 from Linus tree with
gcc-{8,7,5,4.9}. The reason of why I'm compiling a linux kernel 4.14
is to identify a commit which introduced a possible regression in my
wireless driver.

To provide some more context, I'm adding the full compile report in
the following links:

Linux 4.14 (+ patches [2,3]) build with gcc-8.2.1
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1tg0iR3dirhW4MhU_3RXcNyvmiJ-j6nBy

Linux 4.14 vanilla build with gcc-4.9.4
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1YJIpVc5VA1xpblQQxHSzrWhTArl5lTKQ

I have already spent too many hours in this detail, so any hint is welcomed :)

Thank you!