Creating compressed backing_store as swapfile

Pintu Agarwal pintu.ping at gmail.com
Mon Nov 5 10:01:46 EST 2018

Hi,

I have one requirement:
I wanted to have a swapfile (64MB to 256MB) on my system.
But I wanted the data to be compressed and stored on the disk in my swapfile.
[Similar to zram, but compressed data should be moved to disk, instead of RAM].

Note: I wanted to optimize RAM space, so performance is not important
right now for our requirement.

So, what are the options available, to perform this in 4.x kernel version.
My Kernel: 4.9.x
Board: any - (arm64 mostly).

As I know, following are the choices:
1) ZRAM: But it compresses and store data in RAM itself
2) frontswap + zswap : Didn't explore much on this, not sure if this
is helpful for our case.
3) Manually creating swapfile: but how to compress it ?
4) Any other options ?

Thanks,
Pintu