probe gets called without i2c device

MUHAMMED ASAD P T muhammed.asadpt at iqroottech.com
Fri Mar 23 09:37:41 EDT 2018

Hi Greg,

Thanks for the reply.

We have the device tree information and wrote in the board. In this device tree, we specify our I2c device details.

In usual, if the device is there, then driver probe gets called. This is the proper scenario.

But if the device is not there, then i2c master controller will not get the Ack from slave device. Still driver probe gets called without device

 connected (In device tree, device node is there for slave device).

How the driver probe gets called?? This is the problem for us.

Thanks & Regards

- Asad

  IQ Root Technologies

---- On Fri, 23 Mar 2018 17:57:31 +0530 Greg KH <greg at kroah.com> wrote ----

On Fri, Mar 23, 2018 at 05:47:01PM +0530, MUHAMMED ASAD P T wrote:

> Hi all,

> We didn't connect our i2c device with our board. But kernel driver

> subsystem calls the probe function from driver code. How to debug the

> issue.

> our observation is as follows,

> In driver, if we comment out the .id_table in driver struct, then it

> is not loaded. When the device is connected or not, both the time, the

> driver is not loaded.

i2c is not a "hotplug" bus, so how would your device be found in order

to know to load it or not?

Shouldn't you have some device tree information that knows to bind your

device to the driver properly?

good luck!

greg k-h

Kernelnewbies at kernelnewbies.org