Year 2038 time set problem

valdis.kletnieks at vt.edu valdis.kletnieks at vt.edu
Mon Mar 5 03:50:19 EST 2018

On Sun, 04 Mar 2018 23:50:32 -0500, Ruben Safir said:

> Don't pretend to understand what I can and can not afford.  Your not
> picking security policy for Google.  What your failing to address,
> because you are so blinded to your own frame of reference, is that your
> solution leaves out well over 90% of the devices connected to the
> internet, some of those devices connected to things like nuclear power
> plants.  Others are just VOIP appliances.

Give an example of a system - *ANY* system - where you *can't* afford
the time down for a reboot, but the downtime for a hardware failure *is*
acceptable.

If you connect something to a nuclear power plant and can't afford a reboot
time, what is your plan if the device fails entirely?

If you can't stand your VOIP box being down at 3AM when there's no calls
in progress, what do you intend to use for voice service if you're down
because a DIMM failed?

Don't confuse "the downtime for a reboot pisses me off personally"
with "if we take downtime at all, it's A Serious Problem".  If it's the
former, then you have to learn that reboots are like changing the oil
in your car - refusing to do periodic maintenance will bite you eventually.

If it's the latter, and you *aren't* already doing things like HA to deal with
hardware failures, *you are being negligent*. And yes, we're talking in "court
of law" mode here for some things - if you knew that downtime would cause
damages (either physical or monetary) and you didn't do anything about it, you
better have a *really* hefty insurance policy covering negligence on your part.

And if you *are* doing stuff to deal with hardware failures, *then a reboot
is a non-issue*.

(And by the way - as I've mentioned, managing reboots is the *easy* part of
updating an Internet of Pwned Things device. The hard part is getting the
vendor to produce an update in the first place...)