Year 2038 time set problem

Ruben Safir ruben at mrbrklyn.com
Sun Mar 4 21:21:13 EST 2018

On 03/04/2018 05:24 PM, valdis.kletnieks at vt.edu wrote:
> If you can't afford the disruption of service a reboot causes, you *really*
> need to be deploying HA or load-balancer solutions.
>
> Because if you can't afford a reboot's worth of 15-20 minutes of downtime, you
> *really* can't afford the 6-8 hours you're probably going to be down if a chip
> soldered onto the motherboard/backplane fries.
>
> (All of $DAYJOB's important systems are behind HA or load-balancers, as well as
> HA-capable storage.  Let's just say that some vendors make it easier than
> others to set up 8+2 RAID6 across 10 separate shelves of storage, and designing
> mutli-petabyte solutions without single points of failure is harder than it looks :)

These questions always lead into these philosophical discussions as to
how I should run my boxes and theoretical flights of opinionated rubbish
that I am not interested in.  I got the answer to the question I needed
and it is very sobering.

I am not setting up a high availability cluster in my house, thank you.
And fwiw, I've run systems for 6-8 years without rebooting on pc
hardware.  My little fanless fit/pc service running an intel atom had at
one time run 5 years without rebooting.  I only had a system fry once
while it was up an running since the late 1990's until today, and in
that case it was wild power surge and the hardware was up and running in
20 minutes with a swap out of the hard drive.

The linux kernel is integrated into dozens of devices which never see
the light of day for kernel upgrades from PPOE routers, IOT devices,
cellphones, VOIP boxes, electrocardiograms, menu displays for McDonalds,
signal boxes on train systems, etc etc etc.

What has been described is a huge security problem and your solution is
a non-starter and doesn't help the broader problem.

http://www.mrbrklyn.com

http://www.coinhangout.com - coins!
http://www.brooklyn-living.com