policy on externs

Justin Skists justin.skists at juzza.co.uk
Sat Jun 2 12:23:20 EDT 2018

Hi,

What is the kernel policy on using "extern" to share variables between
source files in a module?

I've been looking at one subsystem in staging [that shares variables quite a
bit] to becoming familar with it, and seeing if I can help do some work on it
in my free time.

Personally I prefer to see them eradicated (they polute the namespace), and
store such variables in a context structure that is passed around. But I don't
see any reference about it in the coding style, and I am not one to
code-churn just because it's not my personal style! :)

Thanks,
Justin