link_path_walk/dentry_path_raw TOCTTOU race question

valdis.kletnieks at vt.edu valdis.kletnieks at vt.edu
Tue Jul 24 18:32:54 EDT 2018

On Tue, 24 Jul 2018 16:59:27 -0400, riya khanna said:

> I'm trying to understand what prevents TOCTTOU race conditions in
> dentry_path_raw
> and link_path_walk? What happens when somebody points a symlink path
> component from a dir that has the attacker is allowed to read to a dir that
> they are not allowed to read while link_path_walk() is doing its job?

The important part is that each step of the walk is atomic - it will go where
the link points at that point in the walk (or possibly fail if one of the steps
points to a now non-existent or non-accessible location).  If there's 5 parts
in the symlink path, say a/b/c/d/e, it will go to where 'a' points then, then
attempt to lookup 'b' in whatever directory following 'a' left it, then if it
finds 'b', it tries to lookup 'c', lather rinse repeat.

So in your case, the reader will attempt to land in one directory or the other,
at which point the permissions get applied.  So if the directory is unreadable,
the effect is the same as if you were following
'ln -s /foo/bar/unreadable/baz /tmp/quux'

Another good way to confuse many programs is to have them cd to
a directory that's a bunch of levels deep (5-6 is usually sufficient), and
once they get there, have something chmod one of the intermediate
directories to mode 000.  Things that chase '..' to find / then have a bad day...

Most of the fun with TOCTTOU games with symlinks involves landing the
victim in a directory they *can* do damage in, but not the intended one.
For instance, getting root to do something in //lib/modules rather than in
/tmp  (note that this can be done in auto-ambush mode with things like
tar or cpio, where you deliver first a symlink off to someplace else, and
then extract a file relative to the symlink)