Trying to export per process network bandwidth stats under /proc/[pid]/

Amos Bird amosbird at gmail.com
Fri Jul 13 23:24:23 EDT 2018

Hello!

I'm trying to add a proc entry under /proc/[pid] in order to get
per process network bandwidth stats. I suppose it's similar to
/proc/[pid]/io . However I couldn't find a modular way to add
entries under /proc/[pid]. This thread
https://lists.kernelnewbies.org/pipermail/kernelnewbies/2011-January/000475.html
suggests modifying the kernel which isn't practical to me. Here is
what I've found by going through a bit of the related kernel code.

1. I need to find a way to override or hooking
`sock_sendmsg`/`sock_recvmsg` functions with accounting variables
like `task_io_accounting`
2. a way to add proc entries under /proc/[pid] with readops
printing `current` netio accounting variables.

Am I on the right path of implementing this? Thanks!

--
Amos Bird
amosbird at gmail.com