Linux Kernel contains only C code?

valdis.kletnieks at vt.edu valdis.kletnieks at vt.edu
Fri Jan 26 02:19:42 EST 2018

On Fri, 26 Jan 2018 12:28:38 +0530, inventsekar said:

> 1. May i know, other than C language, is there any other programming
> language is/are used inside Linux Kernel?!?!
> is there any c++, Perl, python programs are used for peculiar tasks inside
> Linux Kernel?!?!

Some of the userspace utilities are written in other languages, but the kernel
itself is written in C and assembler.

> 2. I believe some assembly language and shell scripting also used.. how can
> I check them? Can you point me which part of the source code contains the
> assembly and shell scripting

C files have an extension .c, with possible short pieces of inline assembler
with the gcc extension asm().  There's also C include files, which have names
that end in .h

Assembler files have an extension .s

There's some shell scripting used for utilities and as part of the build
process. In general, looking at the first few lines of code will tell you what
language a file is, if the name doesn't end in .c or .s.