About File systems magic numbers

inventsekar inventsekar at gmail.com
Wed Jan 17 11:05:13 EST 2018

Hi All, i have been reading
Unix filesystem - evolution, design and implementation by Steve D. Pate

and it provides a simple file system source code for learning and playing
with.
On the header file, it defines the fs magic number as
#define UX_MAGIC 0x58494e55

1. which means, will it assign this magic number to ALL files created on
this sample fs? That can't be so. Otherwise, why we need to define a magic
number?
2. I assume, magic number will be assigned to files by the tools which we
use to create the files(like vi, cat, etc). Is this correct?
3. It seems, windows files also have the magic numbers. let's say I copy
some files from windows to Linux. We should have the common magic numbers
between different Operating systems, so there won't be confusions. I mean,
is there any standards common for all os's files magic numbers?!?

Best regards
Sekar