Year 2038 time set problem

Greg KH greg at kroah.com
Tue Feb 27 04:22:05 EST 2018

On Mon, Feb 26, 2018 at 01:19:41PM -0800, Dave Stevens wrote:
> it makes me curious Greg. The little board *might* easily and lots of
> other little boards *definitely will* be put into IoT gadgets for which
> no updates are realistically available but whose owners will want to
> use them as long as possible. It seems this means an abundance of small
> and perhaps not so small devices will fail when the time comes.

Maybe, and if those devices can not be updated in the field, they have
worse problems to deal with than a the 2038 problem :)

> I don't suppose I'm the only person curious about the ramifications,
> could you refer me to relevant work?

Ramifications of what, shipping a device that can not be updated?  Or
the 2038 problem?

For the 2038 problem, search the archives of lwn.net, it has been
covered there for many years as people have been working on various
solutions for different parts of the kernel.

For "shipping a device that can not be updated", well, that's a simple
way to create a botnet of broken devices that are instantly insecure...

hope this helps,

greg k-h