Invalid module format

Tobin C. Harding me at tobin.cc
Sat Feb 24 21:34:41 EST 2018

On Fri, Feb 23, 2018 at 10:06:14PM -0500, valdis.kletnieks at vt.edu wrote:
> On Sat, 24 Feb 2018 10:29:33 +1100, "Tobin C. Harding" said:
>
> > (For the record I happened to be trying to learn about linux-next myself
> > this morning and built a kernel that just goes into a reboot loop
> > without even getting to the grub menu.
>
> OK, I'll bite - how can the kernel go into a reboot loop that doesn't get to the
> grub menu?  (Hint: How does your system get from the BIOS splash screen to
> starting the kernel? :)

That's not biting.  Having to pointed out when I say something
ridiculous is one of the reasons I like the kernel mailing lists so
much.

Re-reading my original comment in your response makes it bleedingly
obvious that what I said was ridiculous.  I must have been selecting the
broken kernel in grub for it to boot - I still don't remember doing so
but it wouldn't be the first time my memory has bent reality.

> (Though I've seen kernels that flash the screen like they're rebooting but they're
> actually hung in a loop, and I've heard some great bar stories about kexec/kdump
> gone horribly astray and re-invoking the current kernel rather than the kexec target
> kernel....)

I appreciate your response Valdis, you always take the time to answer
nood questions.

thanks,
Tobin.