Kconfig in external modules

valdis.kletnieks at vt.edu valdis.kletnieks at vt.edu
Thu Feb 22 08:37:08 EST 2018

On Thu, 22 Feb 2018 10:06:43 -0300, Gustavo Leite said:

> when I run the usual command to build external module
>
>     $ make -C /lib/modules/`uname -r`/build M=/path/to/module modules
>
> the options present in the local .config file would be exported by kbuild as C
> #define's and make variables to be used in the module. The build system supports
> such feature?

This is probably a Bad Idea, because it results in a module that was built against
a different .config than the kernel it is loaded into.  All sorts of things can go
wrong (for instance, consider if your local Kconfig did a 'select' to turn on
a CONFIG_ variable that wasn't on in the main kernel config).

You should just get the module fixed so it can be upstreamed and in-tree rather
than live life as an external module (plus, if you do that, you no longer need to
do all the updating of code when in-kernel API's change ;)

If you need config options for a module,