Block packets from other device connected to wifi

valdis.kletnieks at vt.edu valdis.kletnieks at vt.edu
Fri Feb 16 12:34:52 EST 2018

On Fri, 16 Feb 2018 22:08:10 +0530, Tarun Batra said:

> i have a device connected to wifi, what i want is to block packets from a
> mac address of other device, i have to write driver for same, should i use
> netfilter for same.

Not sure why this is a kernel issue.

iptables -A input -m mac --mac-source 00:00:ff:dead:beef -j DROP

Most sane wifi routers give you a nice gui to set it up - look for a page that
says 'MAC address security" or similar.  Should be able to configure it to only
accept packets from MAC addresses you list, or blacklist packets from listed
addresses and allow all others.

If your question is actually about something else, explain in more detail what
it is you're attempting to do (and include some of the "why" as well - "trying
to block packets from XYZ" is a "how".  I'd estimate that 85% of the time, when
we hear the "why" (for instance, "because packets from XYZ crash my ABC"), it
becomes obvious that you should really be doing something else - in this
example, find out *why* ABC crashes and fix *that* rather than blocking packets
(though of course, blocking the packets as a temporary measure while you fix
the *actual* problem may be a good idea)