clang warning: implicit conversion in intel_ddi.c:1481

Knut Omang knut.omang at oracle.com
Sat Feb 3 02:04:05 EST 2018

On Fri, 2018-02-02 at 16:50 +0100, Greg KH wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 02, 2018 at 04:37:55PM +0200, Jani Nikula wrote:

> > > Why not just build with clang itself:
> > > 	make CC=clang
> >
> > Same as HOSTCC, mixing different CC's in a single build dir seems like a
> > bad idea. Sure, everyone can setup a separate build dir for clang, but
> > IMHO having 'make CHECK=clang C=1' work has least resistance. YMMV.
>
> "O=some_output_dir" is your friend.  If you aren't doing that already
> for your test builds, you don't know what you are missing :)

I use O= a lot myself - so good not to have all the output files "pollute" the source
tree, and to be able to switch branches and compile without having to recompile everything
by having multiple O= set up.

I think what my runchecks wrapper script brings in addition is the ability to to a number
of checks which may or may not pass, even return error codes, from the same 'make' command
and configure what errors to fix now and what to postpone/ignore (and thus not fail from).

As an example, I just tried clang (on v4.15-rc6) with:

cd $HOME/src/kernel
make O=$HOME/build/kernel/clang
cd $HOME/build/kernel/clang
make

and it fails to compile for me in arch/x86/xen/mmu_pv.o.

If I'd want to just make sure that some patches did not introduce new errors with clang,
I would waste some time with unrelated errors, and there will be noise in the output, also
consuming personal "cycles".

I haven't really looked at the details of much of what clang outputs of errors yet, but I
can imagine that specific errors reported by clang might be useful to correct even in old
kernels, where some files inevitably will fail to compile like this.

This would be easy to handle with runchecks using a few exceptions for those
problems/files not yet fixed, allowing a run to easily detect (while compiling with gcc as
the main compiler) that no new clang errors were introduced of any other kind than those
suppressed.

Thanks,
Knut