clang warning: implicit conversion in intel_ddi.c:1481

Jani Nikula jani.nikula at linux.intel.com
Fri Feb 2 05:44:38 EST 2018

+Knut, Fengguang

On Fri, 02 Feb 2018, Greg KH <gregkh at linuxfoundation.org> wrote:
> 	- If clang now builds the kernel "cleanly", yes, I want to take
> 	  warning fixes in the stable tree.  And even better yet, if you
> 	  keep working to ensure the tree is "clean", that would be
> 	  wonderful.

So we can run sparse using 'make C=1' and friends, or other static
analysis tools using 'make CHECK=foo C=1', as long as the passed command
line params work. There was work by Knut to extend this make checker
stuff [1]. Since mixing different HOSTCC's in a single workdir seems
like a bad idea, I wonder how hard it would be to make clang work like
this:

$ make CHECK=clang C=1

Or using Knut's wrapper. Feels like that could increase the use of clang
for static analysis of patches.

BR,
Jani.

[1] http://mid.mail-archive.com/cover.5b56d020b8e826a7da33b1823c059acd0c123f8b.1515072782.git-series.knut.omang@oracle.com