How to signal kernel that shared library is not in use by any process anymore ?

Lev Olshvang levonshe at yandex.com
Fri Dec 21 09:20:36 EST 2018

Hi All,

I have  an executable (C++) which is the exclusive user of the some shared library that it uses only during  the initialization phase.

I would like to free memory used by this shared library, because I am running on embedded system.

How can I achieve this?

I know that dlopen() will load shared library, and hope that following dlclose() will free this lib memory.

1. Still  I do not know what method should be used to make dynamic linker look again into executable and resolve symbols of the newly appeared symbols ?
2. And  how to tell the dynamic linker ld-linux.so to postpone the symbol resolution until dlopen()  will load  the library?
3. Whether to compile and link executable with this library or leave unresolved symbols?

Waiting for your advises,
Lev.