[RFC] LKML Archive in Maildir Format

Konstantin Ryabitsev konstantin at linuxfoundation.org
Sun Dec 16 14:46:49 EST 2018

On Sun, Dec 16, 2018 at 09:06:39AM -1000, Joey Pabalinas wrote:
> I spent a lot of time trying to find an LKML archive in Maildir format
> that I could use for local searches with nutmuch or something, but all
> the links I was able to find were all dead.
>
> I ended up just compiling one myself and I currently host it at:
>
> https://alyptik.org/lkml.tar.xz

You seem to have duplicated a lot of effort that has already been done
to compile the archive on lore.kernel.org.

> It's possible I'm the only weirdo who finds this kind of thing useful, but
> I figured I should share it just in case I'm not.

The maildir format is kind of terrible for LKML, because having millions
of messages in a single directory is very hard on the underlying FS. If
you break it up into multiple folders, then it becomes difficult to
search. This is the main reason why we have chosen to go with the
public-inbox format, which solves both of these problems and allows for
a very efficient archive updating and replication using git.

> It's about 1.1 million files, I was wondering if anyone had an idea of a
> better way to host this? I've tried Github and GitLab, but they don't
> appreciate repos with that many files, hah.

Like I said, you seem to be going down the road we've already tried and
rejected. :)

-K