first patch question

greg gallagher greg at embeddedgreg.com
Thu Aug 9 13:19:53 EDT 2018

On 2018-08-07 12:47 AM, Nicholas Mc Guire wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 07, 2018 at 12:15:04AM -0400, Greg Gallagher wrote:
>> Hi,
>>     I creating my first patch to the kernel.  I followed the
>> instruction on the newbies wiki and everything went smoothly.  I got
>> feedback from the maintainer to fix all the alignment issues in the
>> file instead of just the one i picked. My question is if I fix 10
>> alignment issues identified by checkpatch,pl should each fix be a
>> separate commit? Should I have a 10 commit patch set for the 10
>> alignment issues or is it better to make them all one commit since all
>> the commits are fixing alignment issues?
>>
> The main criteria I would say is reviewability - so there should be
> no need to split it into 10 patches if it is aligment fixes.
> If the 10 fixes are in one file I would make one patch out of it.
> If it is in files that scripts/get_maintainer.pl suggests different
> imaintainer/contributors/reviewers for then put it in seperate
> patches - one for each group of maintainers/conributors/reviewers.
>
> thx!
> hofrat
Hi,
   Thanks very much for replying.  I took your advice and after an
unrelated fat finger error I received an acked-by.  Do I have to do
anything else at this point? Should I add the acked-by to the change
log? I've read the documentation in the Documents/process directory and
I can't find a clear answer.

Thanks again for everyone's time,

Greg