how to identify kernel build in grub menu

Alex Arvelaez ealejandro at outlook.com
Sun Apr 29 10:13:05 EDT 2018

On Apr 29, 2018 9:51 AM, Sumit Kumar <sumit686215 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I built a kernel for the first time following this guide :
> https://kernelnewbies.org/OutreachyfirstpatchSetup
>
> I rebooted my ubuntu machine and went to the grub menu and then chose
> advanced option menu. I could see 5-6 different choices listed as Ubuntu
> with different versions:
>
> 1. Are they all referring to some kernel build ?

Yeah, check the kernel versions and you'll see that all entries are different.

> 2. If so, how do I identify my build from the rest of the builds ? Is
> there a way to name my build so that I can easily identify it ?

There is an option to append a string to the version of the kernel. Use it to tag your kernels, you can find it by doing `make nconfig` I think it's under the "General" category(I'm paraphrasing) check the docs for the actual wording.

Also after building and installing your new kernel you'll need to update your grub menu so it can detect the new kernel.

Regards,

Alex