Softlockup and Hardlockup sample test module

Ivid Suvarna ivid.suvarna at gmail.com
Sun Apr 15 01:41:35 EDT 2018

Hi All,

Could you please provide some sample test module for causing a Softlockup
and Hardlockup in latest kernel for SMP for only testing purposes. I assume
there are some Kconfigs to be enabled as well for this.

I had tried with the module where I put a busy loop inside spinlock but was
not able to cause any lockups. Maybe this is because of SMP which schedule
the job to other CPU. "How do I make a task to run on single CPU only?"

I only get RCU stalls sometimes instead of softlockup when I use busy loop
inside a spinlock. Is there any explanation for difference between these
stalls and softlockup.

Thanks,
IVID