Non-web based LXR

Tobin C. Harding me at tobin.cc
Mon Oct 30 22:14:30 EDT 2017

On Tue, Oct 31, 2017 at 08:55:10AM +1100, Tobin C. Harding wrote:
> CC'd Thomas because I read online recently him commenting on web based
> cross reference tools.
>
> Hi,
>
> Does any one use a terminal based source code cross referencer to search
> the kernel tree?
>
> thanks,
> Tobin.

Responding to all responses in single email. Thanks for the
questions to be more respectful of other peoples time.

I already use grep (various versions, git grep, egreg, and ack).

I also already use ctags in emacs (or is it called etags when in emacs).

I [too] often still find myself going to

http://elixir.free-electrons.com

I just attempted to recreate an example search that fails using grep or
ctags but was unable to. Perhaps the problem is a user error, i.e I come
across a code search that is not fully serviced by grep/ctags, go to
free-electros, then go back to it from habit only later realizing that I
am doing so when I get annoyed with having to use a web browser.

So, thank you for your ideas. I'll consider this issue resolved by;

Use git grep
Use ctags/etags
Use free-electrons as a last resort

thanks,