ZRAM setup and configuration

Mulyadi Santosa mulyadi.santosa at gmail.com
Fri Oct 20 07:05:40 EDT 2017

On Wed, Oct 18, 2017 at 1:22 PM, russel phillipe <russel.phillipe at gmail.com>
wrote:

> I am trying to setup ZRAM on ubuntu 4.4 kernel. I can load and create zram
> based swap devices fine as you can see below.
>
> # apt-get install zram-config
>
> cat /proc/swaps
> Filename Type Size Used Priority
> /dev/sda3 partition 16638972 0 -1
> /dev/zram0 partition 2036816 0 5
> /dev/zram1 partition 2036816 0 5
> /dev/zram2 partition 2036816 0 5
>
> How can I make it work. I tried running memtester and load it with stress
> stress --vm-bytes $(awk '/MemFree/{printf "%d\n", $2 * 0.9;}' <
> /proc/meminfo)k --vm-keep -m 1
>
> It does not look like it is being used.
>
> I notice that 'used' count in /proc/swaps does not bump at all. I even
> tried 'vmstat 1 100 ' while running stress and memtester and did not see
> any change in SO and SI.
> What am I missing?
>
> Thanks
> Russel

I think you need to bring more load. Using mem free, that means you don't
even push the buffer/page cache to be flushed out.

Without using too complicated math, I suggest to stress as much as twice
amount of available RAM. Hopefully it will bring difference.

regards,

Mulyadi Santosa
Freelance Linux trainer and consultant

blog: the-hydra.blogspot.com