atomic test and set

Anish Kumar anish198519851985 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 17 21:33:55 EDT 2017

> On Oct 17, 2017, at 5:40 PM, Tobin C. Harding <me at tobin.cc> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> Do we have an atomic test and set function in the kernel. I have tried

Yes and it is used very much inside the kernel.

> const int KEY_FLAG_BIT = 1;

>    static siphash_key_t ptr_secret __read_mostly;
>    static unsigned long have_key = 0;
>
>    if (test_and_set_bit(KEY_FLAG_BIT, &have_key))
>        get_random_bytes(&ptr_secret, sizeof(ptr_secret));
>

> But that doesn't work.

What doesn't work? What you expected and how is the result different?

Did you read this https://www.mjmwired.net/kernel/Documentation/atomic_ops.txt ?
> (Is this whole discussion just premature optimization?)

This has nothing to do with optimization but rather the requirement. In kernel atomic variables are used to avoid race conditions generally.

> I cannot grok the macros in atomic.h, they seem circular. Here is the macro definitions in call
> chain order starting with atomic_xchg()

Implementation would differ based on the architecture. In some architectures it would be a single instruction and in others it may not be the case.