thread polling for timestamp on socket's error queue doesn't wake up

valdis.kletnieks at vt.edu valdis.kletnieks at vt.edu
Fri Nov 10 12:29:37 EST 2017

On Fri, 10 Nov 2017 14:39:00 -0200, Ricardo Biehl said:
> I've notice that polling for timestamp in socket's error queue from a thread
> that hasn't sended the packet results in not waking the polling thread when an
> event arrives.

That seems reasonable.  Under what conditions would you want to receive an
event for a packet that you haven't actually sent?  And how would an event
related to a non-sent packet even be generated?

Or are you referring to sending a packet from one thread, generating an event that
is then being received by a different thread?  And you're surprised that having received
it in the other thread, it's no longer available in the first thread?  How would you solve
that, other than keeping a near-infinite queue of events "just in case another thread
wanted it"? (Although this sounds like a "well, don't do that, then" type of problem...)