How inode of /proc. /sys keep the same number on a given system

valdis.kletnieks at vt.edu valdis.kletnieks at vt.edu
Wed Nov 8 13:59:59 EST 2017

On Wed, 08 Nov 2017 21:22:47 +0300, Lev Olshvang said:
> Hello all,
>
> I observe that between reboot inode of files in /proc and /sys filesystem keep the same number.
>
> I need to know whether I can rely on this in my program, and under what conditions this assumption became incorrect?

If anything *at all* changes.  The machine reboots with a USB device plugged in. A race
condition during boot goes the other way for some reason. Daylight savings time has
changed.  Phase of the moon (and yes, I did once find an *actual* 'phase of the moon' bug :)

Relying on "My important file always has inode 93423" is a bad way to do things - why are
you doing that rather than using the pathname like /sys/whatever/my/important/file ?