Some orientation on topics

Thomas Korimort tomkori at gmx.net
Sun May 21 07:18:48 EDT 2017

Hello!

I am new to kernel development, but i feel somehow committed to
officially contribute to open source and Linux. My personal computer
runs Win 10, however i am also operating 3 RaspBerry Pi ( 2 x Model 3
and 1 x Model 2) on Raspbian. One is Raspi 3 is my Mediacenter connected
to my TV, another is my private server and another is my old Raspi 2,
which i have connected to my modem. In the endeavour to build up my
private cloud, Apache server and so on, i got into troubles first with
incompatible WLAN stick for Raspi 2 with very bad data transmission
rates unsuitable even for home network purposes. After moving to Raspi 3
and in one new flat, that problem seems to be improved, and another
problem came about: making my intended servers like DNS, Apache,
owncloud available to the outside world. My ISP even provided for free a
dynamically changing IP open to the internet. So i tried with a free
dynamic domain name which was updated by my ISP-provided router
(3HuiGate, Huawei LTE-Router with proprietary firmware) automatically.
Another issue i encountered was the flash codec not being available on
the ARM platform, on which the Raspi3 is based. There are open-source
projects like lightspark or gnash, that dealt already with the flash
codec in open source context, but they seem not so far developed (gnash
abandoned some years ago, lightspark not up-to-date with
implementation). Although i operate my phone and tablet on Android
comfortably, and my day-to-day business on my PC on Win 10, i strongly
want to switch completely to Linux as during my university times i was
very much a fan of Linux.

My personal idea (or vision) about Linux kernels future is: a universal
executable format, more far-reaching than just ELF format. Even the
byte-code stored in platform specific form in the text section of ELF
binary should be code on a universal platform, that can be easily and
fastly compiled and translated on-the-run to the respective platform on
which the operating system is actually running, such that >>everything<<
on the Linux platforms design is platform independent but only with
exception of the very very elementary basic layers. I.e. i am suggesting
to design kind of virtual machine specification in an open-source way
like for example ARM architecture specification or the Java Virtual
machine and make that the standard for a virtual machine capable of
most-efficient and perfect code execution according to cutting edge
requirements on computing.

Another topic i observe is the scheduling policies of the drivers and
buffering and paging mechanisms and maybe it is possible to develop a
global buffering, synchronizing and caching strategy, that is base on
online combinatorial optimization techniques that can yield more perfect
scheduling and still achieve greater transparency in the layer of
storage media, thereby developing a greater abstraction and higher
consistency of computation like for example when the file systems
technology progressed from ext2 to ext3 and ext4 or ReiserFS as
journaling file system with high failure resistance.

What are the perfect policies for dealing with hardware that can be
disconnected, reconnected and spoiled anytime by another operating
system? Let us say you take a FAT formatted harddisk and plug it in
Linux, unplug it and modify it in Windows. What happens then with the
Inode superstructure of Linux VFS? Isn't it spoiled and dirty? In such a
setting where hardware integrity cannot be guarantueed completely for
example by hardware assisted encryption of hardware and strong tying to
one operating faculty only, how should an operating system (or
specifically Linux) deal with such an issue (on a general scale)? By
reading a book on the kernel technology of kernel 2.6 (Wolfgang Maurer:
Linux-Kernelarchitektur 2.6) i found that Linux has already good
policies implemented since many years, but maybe it is still possible to
widen the view also to the legal environment: If you buy one harddisk
and format it with ext4, the risk is different than if you share one
NTFS formatted harddisk between your Windows and Linux systems. Can such
problems be tackled on an operating systems level CONSCIOUSLY without
introducing "Linux-certified hardware" that could again spoil away the
original idea of Linux?

I am a mathematician, computer scientist (Facebook: Thomas Korimort,
LinkedIn: Thomas Korimort, ResearchGate: Thomas Korimort) who has also
some competence in bible, law and medicine. Thus, personally i would
rank myself in the Linux universe among the following: lawgiver,
pioneer, executor, judge, lawyer, computer scientist, mathematician,
programmer, tester, designer, leader, manager, priest, bishop,
magician,... i hope that this list does not offend anyone. I just want
to offer my skills to this great project of GNU, Linux, Debian,
Open-Source, visionary, prophet,.... in a way that is compatible with my
personal style and habit.

I am looking forward to your estimated comments and informations.

Many greetings, Thomas Korimort.