Merging device drivers to LK tree

Greg KH greg at kroah.com
Mon Mar 13 17:45:30 EDT 2017

On Mon, Mar 13, 2017 at 11:21:24PM +0300, alexhoppus wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I have several questions regarding how device drivers are merged into
> linux-kernel. First of all, I have found some document regarding
> submitting drivers to LK, but it  looks like pretty out-dated,
> https://kernelnewbies.org/UpstreamMerge/SubmittingDrivers
> is this info still relevant? Or there is a new one?

Look in the kernel source tree at Documentation/SubmittingDrivers for
the latest version.

> Actually, I want to know more about the process. To start with this, I
> would like to ask an example question. Surfing through the kernel source
> I have found several ra-link usb wi-fi adapter drivers (rtl8188eu,
> rtl8192e, rtl8712 ...). Suppose one have datasheet that gives the
> possibility for writing a device driver for say rtlxxxxx based device.
> Can third-party person write & submit this driver to LK or this must be
> done explicitly by device vendor?

Anyone can submit a driver.

> What are the requirements from LK community side?

It has to match our coding style rules and pass our code review.

> Are there any license issues with this? (besides the author should
> publish code under GPL)

Nope, just has to be compatible with GPLv2.

Do you have a specific driver you wish to get merged that isn't already
in the tree?

thanks,

greg k-h