Problem in First-Patch-Tutorial

SIMRAN SINGHAL singhalsimran0 at gmail.com
Sun Mar 12 14:20:14 EDT 2017

On Sun, Mar 12, 2017 at 10:15 PM, Alexander Kapshuk
<alexander.kapshuk at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 12, 2017 at 5:34 PM,  <valdis.kletnieks at vt.edu> wrote:
>> On Sun, 12 Mar 2017 15:49:31 +0200, Alexander Kapshuk said:
>>
>>> Are these drivers, drivers/iio/dummy/{iio_dummy_evgen,iio_dummy}.ko,
>>> something of your own making, as I'm not seeing them in the kernel
>>> source tree?
>>>
>>> The 'modules_install' make target installs drivers that have been
>>> compiled as modules as opposed to those compiled into the kernel, into
>>> /lib/modules/`uname -r`. For your own modules added to the kernel
>>> source tree, or built out-of-tree, that would involve putting
>>> appropriate entries into  Kconfig and/or Makefiles.
>>>
>>> Modeprobe expects your module to be found in /lib/modules/`uname -r`.
>>> Otherwise, your module won't get loaded.
>>
>> One other thing to remember is that although 'make modules_install' will
>> take all the .ko files from in-tree modules and put them in their proper
>> place in /lib/modules/`uname-r`  and then run 'depmod', many out-of-tree
>> Makefiles manage to forget to do that last step.
>>
>> modprobe is a wrapper around insmod - and the file produced by 'depmod'
>> are what the wrapper uses to find the module.
>
> Thanks for elaborating on that.

Still not working

First I executed following commands:-

$ make drivers/iio/dummy/iio_dummy_evgen.ko
$ make drivers/iio/dummy/iio_dummy.ko

Above commands executed successfully

Then I run following command:
$ insmod iio_dummy_evgen.ko

Getting following error:
insmod: ERROR: could not load module iio_dummy_evgen.ko: No such file
or directory

And, then I try executing them from driver/staging/dummy and then I
got this error:
insmod: ERROR: could not insert module iio_dummy_evgen.ko: Operation
not permitted